POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : elastic cube, pov code, 800 kB : Re: elastic cube, pov code, 800 kB Server Time
20 Jul 2024 01:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: elastic cube, pov code, 800 kB
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 May 2002 05:16:15
Message: <3CE4CA62.8CB5D1F8@gmx.de>
Gergely Vandor wrote:

> [...]
>
> Did you use pov code for your system? If so, I'd really like to see it. :)

Yes, it works a lot with functions so it's probably quite difficult to
understand.

> It took 5 mins on an 1400 MHz Athlon XP, which I consider slow, this
> thing should be possible realtime on my machine. :) The five mins is a
> guess, I did't even check.

I would not call this slow, the recent 12 balls animations usually parse
about 10 seconds per frame and render 5 seconds on a K6/500.

> System: In every "row", every second node is connected as well as the
> adjacent ones, and every "sub-cube" has an X of springs on its sides.
> The slowness is due to silly code (this is my first ever try at stuff
> like this) and overkill (?) precision (20 steps/frame).

I don't really understand that description, do you use any 3D diagonal
springs?  Maybe just render a still with cylinders where the springs are.
How did you model damping?

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,